Are you feeling under-valued in your present career? You know you can do so much more and yet you are not achieving half of what you know that you can? Do you have a dream, an ambition in you mind but not sure what is keeping you back? Here are 7 tips to get you going.
1. Banish that fear: Change is scary, very scary but without change we cannot grow, without change we cannot evolve fully into the person we are born to become. The Law of Attraction encourages us to focus all of our energy on the thing that we want to achieve and act as if we have already achieved it. The bible tells us that if we ask, we will receive it. So in fact, there are various sources spiritually and scientifically already encouraging us and telling us that once we focus our minds on what we want to receive and achieve, then it will happen. When we begin to believe that we have received it, instead of fear, it becomes excitement.
2. Stop Procrastinating: Procrastination is a deadly disease, period. It always finds a way to kill dreams, and keep us in the same place we want nothing more but to leave. There are a thousand and one excuses we could think up to stop us from doing the things we need to do. Oh, it’s the kids, I have got so much cleaning to do, I have to cook, work is too hectic, I need to take the car to the garage, I must do my shopping, etc. Stop the procrastination now. Tomorrow soon becomes next week, next week becomes next month and next month become one year. I read a statement somewhere that said, ‘Mother Theresa and Einstein had the same amount of time in a day as you’! How true is that? The funny thing about procrastination is that it becomes a habit and starts to affect so many areas of your life. Do not let it happen. Commit to yourself and love yourself enough to cast out procrastination from your life today.
3. Do not listen to the doubting Thomas: There is always a doubting Thomas around. Letting one get into your head is one of the worst mistakes you can ever make. As human beings we unconsciously continue to seek reassurance and permission from people around us. We need to hear over and over again, that yes, you can do it. It is ok to want reassurance but unless you carefully select the right person such as a mentor for such reassurances, you are bound to listen to the poisonous voices all around waiting to tell you how difficult this is going to be and how can you think that you can achieve this. Beware of doubting the Thomas and steer clear off them. Do not let them discourage you. Don’t tell everyone your plan until you are confident enough and have taken massive actions so that you are not discouraged.
4. Take immediate actions towards your goal: An idea means nothing if we don’t act upon it. It is brilliant to dream but unless we take determined well thought through actions towards those dreams, we will never achieve them. Tell me one person who has achieved a dream; built a business empire, run in the Olympics, become CEO of a successful business by just sitting on the sofa and just thinking about it. The biggest achievers were not just dreamers; they were people who put actions and steps towards their dreams. What actions and steps could you begin to take today? Well, start taking them.
5. Network with like- minded people: Find workshops and seminars relating to your desired topic or goal. There are so many like-minded people looking to network and bounce ideas off each other. No man is an Island, it helps to find a way of rejuvenating yourself, your passion, your desire and your goals on a regular basis. A workshop or seminar is a way of doing just that occasionally through other people’s energy. Do your research NOW and find a workshop or seminar to get you on your way.
6. Get a mentor: A mentor is invaluable. A mentor is someone who could give you options on how best to move forward when you start to feel stuck. A mentor is someone who has been there and done that and knows what it takes to get there. A mentor is someone you can lean on to encourage you and tell you that you can do it. It feeds back to seeking approval but this is in a positive way because a mentor has your interest at heart and is thinking of you and how to help you get to where you are going.
7. Watch Less TV, use less gadgets: This is the era of television, phones, iPods, iPads, kindles, you name it. They have taken over most lives. There are so many programmes, games, apps, widgets getting people so hooked they literally cannot pull away to do anything else. Discipline yourself about watching TV and playing with your gadgets. You don’t have to stop it entirely but you must find a way to control it. Think about it, how much TV does an average entertainer actually watch? Not much and so many of them say it. This is because they are too busy making TV, living their lives, making money AND getting you hooked. Be smart. Minimal is key.